Friday, November 6, 2015

(Winnie the Horse Gentler) Chapter 4: Too Much

Disclaimer: Don't tell me. I know. Disclaimers are old news. 
  Oh well. 
  But seriously, thank Mackall, not me. She created, I renovated. (That's probably not correct, in any way, but I'm sticking with it.)
  Please comment peeplezz! I have one commenter, and she's amazing - you could be, too, just comment! - and she's helped me a lot. 
  Shout out to Kisses, Rose. I will provide the link to her blog at the bottom (it's really good).
                                                        - Hope :)
____________________________________________________________________
  
  I rode through the forest, Catman behind me on Nickers. 
  I scanned the ground for anything that might help us. Catman shifted behind me. Nickers breath blew a strand of her mane out of her eyes. My hair was hopelessly tangled from the wind. 
  And all was quiet. And calm. And... boring.
  You know you don't want something exciting to happen, I told myself. 
  But I do, I replied back. 
  Whatever happens won't be good, said the logical side. 
  So what? said the other part. 
  How about nothing happens. Maybe you could talk to Catman, reasoned my content side. 
  No way, it's too weird, said my restless side.
  You're frustrating, I told myself.
  So you are, said myself. I blinked. This was no good. You can't really win these battles. 
  Catman rested his hand on my waist. At first I, started, thinking it was with care. Then, I realized that he was trying to get me to see something. I turned around, pulling Nickers up short. And I saw what it was.
  Smoke.
  "Where's it coming from?" I asked Catman in a whisper. I didn't know why I whispered, it just felt wrong to actually talk out here, in this peaceful winter land.
  "Dunno. Let's go," he commanded. "What? Wait, Catman! Go... towards it?"
  He nodded.
  I turned Nickers toward the smoke, trying to find the most clear path. It was such a confusing trail that I knew it'd be hard to get back. But I could feel Catman, tense behind me, obviously worried sick about his parents.
  Well, not obviously. He was hiding it, and pretty well. But I knew him. And he was a master of disguise.
  I had to push on, for him. 
  As we got closer to the smoke, I began to see the wreckage: pieces of wood, grating, marble, bricks, cement, concrete, and some other materials that I didn't recognize. 
  I could tell that this was not what we were looking for; planes didn't usually have wood or marble, and they certainly didn't have bricks, cement, or concrete.
  Still, I wanted to make sure that no one was still in there. I turned around to look at Catman. I raised an eyebrow. He gave me the peace sign in reply. 
  I slid off Nickers. As I walked carefully towards the burning building, I noticed something strange: this didn't appear to be a simple fire that had spread from a kitchen stove or fireplace. It seemed as if something had exploded on the inside. 
  That's weird, I thought. And more than a little freaky...
  Then I heard a sound. It sounded like crying. No, screaming. Wait, no, it was both. Someone was in trouble, and I quickened my step, picking over the wreckage with less care.
  And, as I crested a rise, I saw them: a family, with approximately fifteen people, all of them reaching their hands towards something I couldn't see. 
  I heard a cry again. It came from my left. I followed the noise to the source. It was a little girl of about five. She was trapped between a burning piece of wreckage and a halfway destroyed wall. 
  There was no way to get to her. 
  Except one. But in order to get to her in that way, I would have to walk fatally close to the main fire, walk under an almost collapsed archway, and jump about seven feet across a clump of fire. To dangerous, to impossible.
  But nothing is impossible, I thought. I might be able to do it... but I can't risk my life for a girl I don't know...
  The family had seen me now, and they could tell that I had a path. An uncertain path, but it was still a way. They made begging motions, crying out for me to help their little girl, but I was too weak, to afraid. The family kept on trying, but it was the one who had stopped trying that made me reconsider. She had tears shining on her face, and she seemed as if all hope was lost. And looking at her eyes, her sad, lost eyes...
  Suddenly, a fire burst forth inside of me, and it seemed as if I had just reversed the saying "fire feeds fire". My fire seemed to fight the fire, and it no longer seemed so big, so bad, so bright.
  I can do this, I said. Then, looking at the rage in front of me, my fire died. With a miracle.
  God will provide. That was now engraved into my brain, insisting I remember that forever. It pounded it's way towards my heart, snaking through my bloodstream. If God will provide... then I just might get my miracle.
  I had decided. And I was not changing my mind again.
  Don't try this at home, I thought grimly.
  Taking a deep breath, I plunged into the fire.
_________________________________________________________________________________

  Thanks for reading, guys, I hope (hehehe) you enjoyed it. 
  Here's the link to Kisses, Rose's channel:
                    kisses-rose.blogspot.com
    Bye for now!
                                                 - Hope :)
  

3 comments:

  1. This chapter has been my favourite so far!!! :-) I can't wait to see if winnie and the girl survive.... remember to keep on posting!
    Kisses, Rose
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks so much for the shoutout. Ill give you one in my next blog post!!!

      Delete
  2. You are so welcome, Rose! This chapter has actually been my favorite, too! I couldn't wait to write it! More posts to come...
    P.S. Rose, check your blog & comments *cough*... somebody replied... *cough*
    - Hope :)

    ReplyDelete