Saturday, November 7, 2015

(Winnie the Horse Gentler) Chapter 5: Into The Fire

 Disclaimer: You guys probably don't want one, after what happened in the last chapter, but Mackall did a wonderful job, and none of this is mine. Sorry if I've said that a thousand times.
  Please comment, guys! I still have literally one commenter! One! 
  Shout out to my one and only commenter: Kisses, Rose! I will, once again, put a link to her channel below (it's good, check it out!).
  Hope you guys enjoy it!
                                                       Hope :)
____________________________________________________________________
  As I ran towards the main fire, my heartbeat seemed to resound throughout my body, every inch of me alive. Adrenaline surged through my veins, making me faster, stronger, braver. 
  I was nearing the girl now. I still had to go underneath the archway, and jump over the fire, but I was still relatively closer. 
  I stopped short. I hadn't realized that the archway was so close. It was literally right in front of me. 
  All of a sudden, it lurched, and I jumped. The archway was collapsing! 
  There was no way to go through it now, it was too dangerous. 
  I looked around for a solution, until finally I realized. The archway was the only way. If it collapsed with me still on the outside, the little girl would die. There was no other way to do this. 
  What would Catman do? I wondered. Wait, why am I asking myself this? Because I know that he would do the right thing, no matter what? Or because I care enough to consider him?
  It lurched again. The family screamed, but I could barely hear them over the roar of the fire.
  You know what Catman would do, so do it.  It's now or never, I thought. How about... now.
  I took a few steps back. Then I ran, faster than I ever had before. I dived through it, and I must have gotten through at the very last second, because when I turned around, there was nothing but a burning pile of wood. 
  But I didn't even have a second to breath, because the girl screamed again. I whipped around to face her... wait. Where was she? She had been there a second ago. How did she...?
  I saw something move. Underneath a pile of wood. 
  Oh my God. No. 
  She was trapped. Cornered.
  And she was about to be dead. 
  
  
  I stood there staring in disbelief. Then I shook myself out of it and faced my last and worst obstacle. I had come this far, and I wasn't about to let a few pieces of wood stand in my way.
  But it's seven feet across... That's too far for anyone to jump. Especially my size. 
  God, I prayed. Please. Help me survive this. Give me a miracle. 
  I took as many steps back as I could. I had to make this jump, because I knew that there were no second chances. If I didn't make this jump, I was dead. 
  In my head, words began to flood out of my brain. God, if i don't survive this, please let everyone know that I loved them. Towaco, Buddy, Sal, Grant, Victoria Hawkins, Summer (okay I didn't love her or her brother, but they played their part in my life, no matter how they played it), Eddy Barker, Pat Haven, Kaylee, Mason, Madeleine, M... M, Catman, Nickers, Dad, Lizzy... 
  With each name, a memory popped into my head, one for each of them. 
  Towaco, my friend's horse, that day when he stopped being a pain, and let me ride him without a problem.
  Buddy, that day when I had helped his mother give birth to him, even though the mare, Gracie, had died in the process. 
  Sal, how I had trained her horse, Amigo, and become good friends that one winter night. 
  Grant, how I had trained his horse, Eager Star, and Grant himself, how to love his horse, not just ride it. It was wonderful when he had lost out of love at the horse race. 
  Victoria Hawkins, the day when I had found out that she was the one who had been asking my help through E-mail. 
  Summer Spidell, no good memories... except the time I almost hit her with flying horse muck... 
  Eddy Barker, The time when we first met, and even though I had crashed into him on my bike and scared his formerly abused dog, he had still smiled and asked me my name.
  Pat Haven, when she had given me encouragement to carry on, and how, for a few weeks, she had let me skip her assignments because I was in need.
  Kaylee, when I had first helped her entice her abused horse, Bandit. She had been so happy.
  Mason, how he had reacted when I had told him that Buddy was his.
  Madeleine, when she had driven me home from helping Kaylee, and told me why Mason was mentally troubled. He had been abused by his father as a baby.
  M, when he had helped our team win in the school debate. He had spoken with such strength;
  Catman, the night when he had showed me the North Star, Polaris, and told me that it was always there.
  Nickers, the first time I had seen her, glorious, glowing, and free.
  Dad, how he had told me that it wasn't my fault that Mom was dead, and he didn't blame me, as I had thought for three years.
  Lizzy, too many memories of Lizzy, to many to count, to many to think of right now in this time of crisis.
  Then I ran, all of these little moments from my past all coming together an flashing inside of me like a thunderstorm, ready take on the world.
  With each step I gained speed, and finally, as I reached my last one, I was ready. 
  As I flew into the air, I realized that something was off. My last step hadn't thrown me forward like I'd meant. It had, instead, propelled me upward. 
  I was going to land in the middle of the fire! God, anytime now... Please! Give me a miracle! I screamed inside my head.
  As I began to come down. I felt a weird feeling that my feet were going to make contact, but not with the earth. Something else...
  And there was my miracle.
_________________________________________________________________________________

  Please tell me if you enjoyed this chapter! I enjoyed writing it, it was hard to actually find an ending for it.
  Here's the link to Kisses, Rose's channel:
                    kisses-rose.blogspot.com
   Kisses to you, Rose! I'll make the 20 facts thing the next post I do!
                                                     - Hope :)

No comments:

Post a Comment